Overwatch's Competitive Mode to Introduce Golden Guns System and Other Special Rewards
Overwatch's ranked mode debuts sometime later this summer, and these are some of the highlights we can expect to be different from the beta:
- The season length is increasing, and will now be around 3 months. More specifically, it’ll technically last about 2 and a half months, with a couple of weeks of downtime in-between different seasons.
- They’re tweaking overtime, so that it happens less often. The idea is to make it more exciting when it does happen.
- The “Assault” format has been changed in certain maps, like Hanamura and Temple of Anubis. Specifically, they want to make sure there is more back and forth between the teams, rather than having these maps flip quickly.
- There will be no more tiers. Instead, players will get something known as “MMR” (which you’re probably familiar with if you play MOBAs.) Players will also get a skill rating that is between 1-100, and when you finish your placement matches, the game will show you your specific skill rating relative to other players.
- Everyone can see your skill rating when you go into a match. Matches will also inform you of team’s overall skill rating. Sometimes, you’ll be in matches with people who are not at your exact skill rating. Underdogs in these matches stand to gain more and lose less under this system.
- You’ll be able to tell at a glance if people came into the match partied up.
- There will be rewards for players who do well, and these rewards will be cosmetic. Sprays and player icons for people who participate in the season, and a “golden gun” system as well, which will make your weapons cooler. Kaplan also said that top players will get unique exclusive rewards too.
Now all we need is an update on whether or not we can hope for an increase in 'tick rate'...
- Reposted by