We always tell you guys about stories of people saving animals, but sometimes, it's the animals who save us. This time, we're not even talking metaphorically about pets who save us by just being in our lives. No, in this case, a parrot literally saved its owner from a huge housefire. The fire was so bad, the entire house was burnt down, but thanks to Eric - the rescuer parrot - the owner is okay.
As ABC reports, by the time the firefighters arrived, the house on Salstone Street at Kangaroo Point in Australia was already "engulfed in flames". The owner, Anton, and his parrot, Eric, thankfully, came out of there alive. The reason for that is our newest hero - Eric. According to Cam Thomas, the QFES Acting Inspector on the scene, the parrot squawked "Anton! Anton!" to warn his owner that something was really wrong.
"I heard a bang and Eric — my parrot — he started to yell so I woke up and I smelled a bit of smoke," said Anton. "I grabbed Eric, opened the door and looked to the back of the house and saw some flames. And so I've grabbed my bag and took off and bolted downstairs."
He added that he's in shock but feeling fine and that "Everything's alright so long as I have myself and the bird." That's a man with some set priorities who loves his bird more than any material things he had in that house, and we are happy and thankful that both of them came out of that fire alive and well. And yes, we have taken it upon ourselves to hand Eric a virtual metal of honor for his heroism. Good job, Eric.
Shop for the latest and greatest ICanHasCheezburger products in our brand new store!
For a weekly dose of animal-themed community challenges - Subscribe to our Newsletter!
Can't get enough of ICanHasCheezburger? Find us on Instagram!