5 Things You Need to Know About Justine Sacco's Twitter Fail
Who the hell is Justine Sacco and why the hell is she filling up your news feed?
1. This is the tweet that started it all:Yep, that's a real tweet. By a real person. Who's
probably about to beunemployed.
2. Justine Works for InterActiveCorpIAC owns a number of websites you may recognize, including Match.com, OkCupid, CollegeHumor, and Urbanspoon. Justine Sacco is (was) a public relations representative for the company, so you'd think she'd know better. Apparently, she doesn't.
The company had this to say about the incident:
This is an outrageous, offensive comment that does not reflect the views and values of IAC. Unfortunately, the employee in question is unreachable on an international flight, but this is a very serious matter and we are taking appropriate action.
3. The Internet caught wind of her terrible tweet and ran with it using the hashtag "HasJustineLandedYet"
4Even Google got in on the action!
6Yep, she's a meme now.
4. One amazing soul bought justinesacco.com and redirected it to Aid for Africa
5. Once she landed, she deleted her twitterUPDATE:
IAC says they have "parted ways" with Sacco, and she's released the following statement:
Words can not express how sorry I am, and how necessary it is for me to apologize to the people of South Africa, who I have offended due to a needless and careless tweet. There is an AIDS crisis taking place in this country, that we read about in America, but do not live with or face on a continuous basis. Unfortunately, it is terribly easy to be cavalier about an epidemic that one has never witnessed firsthand. For being insensitive to this crisis – which does not discriminate by race, gender or sexual orientation, but which terrifies us all uniformly – and to the millions of people living with the virus, I am ashamed. This is my father's country, and I was born here. I cherish my ties to South Africa and my frequent visits, but I am in anguish knowing that my remarks have caused pain to so many people here; my family, friends and fellow South Africans. I am very sorry for the pain I caused.
- Reposted by